PAID Summer Internships for High School Youth
Application deadline extended to Sunday, April 10th!
We ask for your assistance in making this information available to your local high schools, students, parents, and anyone else who may benefit from receiving this information — Thank you!
The Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) is sponsoring its High School Internship Program and asks for your assistance in making this information available to your students.
The purpose of the program is to:
- introduce high school students to career opportunities in the field of transportation;
- help students understand the role of the transportation agencies in the community, county and region;
- provide skill-building opportunities during all phases of the program; and
- provide our transportation partners, such as planners at transit agencies or traffic engineers at city and county public works departments, with some assistance on entry-level tasks.
Approximately 40 internships will be available throughout the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area. The work site locations and job descriptions are now posted on the MTC website at: http://jobs.mtc.ca.gov/InternshipOpportunities/jobinternship.html. The hourly rate is $12.25 – $13.00 per hour. Students may work full-time or part-time, for up to 250 hours, between June 16 and August 26, 2016.
The High School Internship Brochure and Flyer can be downloaded from the MTC website, High School Internship Program page at: http://jobs.mtc.ca.gov/InternshipOpportunities/HighSchoolInfo/highschoolintern.html
STUDENT QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- live and go to school in the county the student is applying for;
- have completed the 10th grade; and
- be at least 16 years of age by date of hire (Thursday, June 16, 2016).
NOTE: If you are offered an internship, are under 18 years of age, and will not be graduating prior to the start of the program, you will be required to obtain a work permit.
Graduating seniors are eligible to apply.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Application deadline is Sunday, April 10, 2016
- Complete the online application to the internship(s) available in your county.
- Attach a one page letter (.doc or .pdf) that describes, in the student’s own words, a transportation problem in his or her community and explains what he or she think could be done to resolve the problem. (for example, access to public transportation, safe biking, traffic congestion, road conditions, pollution from transportation, etc.)
- Attach one letter of recommendation from a teacher, principal, counselor, religious leader, or employer (two letters are required if GPA is below 2.8). If your school would like to send the letter of recommendation to MTC directly, please send it to InternCoordinator@mtc.ca.gov by the application deadline.
Application deadline is Sunday, April 10. If you need assistance with the application process or have questions about the program, please do not hesitate to contact us at (510) 817-5807 or InternCoordinator@mtc.ca.gov.
Yulee Kim, PHR
Metropolitan Transportation Commission
101 Eight Street
Oakland, CA 94607